Charmaine's conclave walks through art & thoughts...

Sunday, February 24, 2008

Anne Frank's Tree

http://www.annefranktree.com/


Ever since I was a little girl I’ve had a fascination with trees. I was a loner for the first part of my life and trees became my friends. Trees are good listeners and say more than you would think if you actually listen.
There were certain trees I would talk to more than the others. My favourite tree was a huge maple outside the first house my family and I ever lived in. We haven’t lived at that house for 15 years. Recently I decided to go on a photography excursion so I could capture a picture and always remember my favourite tree. When I went to the spot I noticed the tree had been cut down. It too had white rot like Anne Frank’s tree.
As an adult seeing a stump where a friend used to be is very difficult for me to explain. It actually made me feel like a part of my childhood had been taken away – one of my favourite memories. I liked that tree the most because it looked different but I suppose it was actually sick. It had smooth surfaces in the trunk that I used to love to touch and fathom the inner-workings of the tree.
Anne Frank’s tree makes me wonder about all the things she thought about every nook, cranny, crack and surface of that specific tree. If I had it my way I would build a massive exact replica out of bronze, possibly with copper for the leaves that would tarnish green. I think it would be beautiful and would have a lot of meaning to her. I know if I went back to my tree and saw a tribute and not a stump I’d be elated.

No comments:

Older